This was a hospital horror story. All the patient wanted was peace and comfort.
What we learned:
1. Were the patient and their family members included in the performance assessment of their primary healthcare providers?
2. Did the care team collaborate with the patient and the caregiver?
3. Did hospital management assess how the staff members perform their duties?
4. Is there a survey given to patients that would include assessment of compassion, transparency and privacy?
5. Is there an independent patient relations agency to advocate for patients?
6. Does the hiring committee include patients and family caregivers?
7. Is management involved with patient quality feedback?
8. Did staff have a sit-down discussion with the patient and their family members once they were aware the patient was dying?
9. Did staff write their names on the white board in the patient’s room? Did they introduce themselves if they were new to the patient?